- We set a target to reduce forecast carbon dioxide emissions by 300,000 tonnes by 2022 compared to the baseline in 2017.
- As part of the private-public partnership initiative, Programa Tranque, we are actively participating in the development of a tailings deposit monitoring and warning system in Chile, currently in its pilot stage at the Mauro tailings deposit.
- Sea water represents 45% of our operations’ water consumption.
- There were no significant environmental incidents at our operations in 2018.
- Renewable energy sources represented 23% of Antofagasta Minerals’ energy consumption in 2018.
Sustainability Report 2018
- Tragically, after 30 months without a fatality, a contractor at Los Pelambres lost his life while working on the Mauro tailings storage facility.
- We rolled out the Diversity and Inclusion Strategy at all our operations and established the goal to double the percentage of women in the workforce by 2022.
- Labour negotiations were successfully concluded at Los Pelambres.
- We joined the Mining Cluster in the city of Antofagasta, an alliance that seeks to strengthen employability and innovation in northern Chile.
- We have reinforced the Somos Choapa (We are Choapa) engagement model at Los Pelambres and the Dialogues for Development programme in our operations in northern Chile.
- We developed a new Social Management Model that will be gradually implemented as from 2019.
- We began a process to evaluate and quantify the impacts and contribution of Los Pelambres based on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- We completed construction and opened the Technical Training Centre in Los Vilos for 304 students.
Transparency and Corporate Governance
- We updated our Risk Management and Compliance Models.
- We recertified our Crime Prevention Model.
- We began a human rights due diligence process.