AT A GLANCE

We are Antofagasta Minerals, Chile’s main non-State mining group and one of the nine largest copper producers in the world. Our purpose is to develop mining for a better future in an innovative, sustainable and inclusive manner.

Click to view Sustainability KPIs 

WHAT WE DO

Through the exploration, development and operation of copper mines and through our value chain, we generate diverse, inclusive and quality employment, safeguard the safety and health of people, contribute to the development of the regions where we operate and of our neighbouring communities, and work responsibly and efficiently so that our projects and operations have a minimum impact on the environment and its natural resources.

ABOUT ANTOFAGASTA PLC

Antofagasta plc, the mining group which owns Antofagasta Minerals, has been listed on the London Stock Exchange since 1888. It is a constituent of the FTSE 100 and sustainability indexes such as FTSE4Good, STOXX Global ESG Leaders and ECPI Global Developed ESG Best in Class. The Luksic family is interested in 65% of the ordinary share capital, with the remaining 35% held by institutional and individual shareholders.

Mining is Antofagasta plc’s core business, representing 96% of Group revenue and EBITDA. The Group also has a transport division, known as Ferrocarril de Antofagasta a Bolivia (FCAB), which it wholly owns.

HIGHLIGHTS 2018

Environment

  • We set a target to reduce forecast carbon dioxide emissions by 300,000 tonnes by 2022 compared to the baseline in 2017.
  • As part of the private-public partnership initiative, Programa Tranque, we are actively participating in the development of a tailings deposit monitoring and warning system in Chile, currently in its pilot stage at the Mauro tailings deposit.
  • Sea water represents 45% of our operations’ water consumption.
  • There were no significant environmental incidents at our operations in 2018.
  • Renewable energy sources represented 23% of Antofagasta Minerals’ energy consumption in 2018.

People

  • Tragically, after 30 months without a fatality, a contractor at Los Pelambres lost his life while working on the Mauro tailings storage facility.
  • We rolled out the Diversity and Inclusion Strategy at all our operations and established the goal to double the percentage of women in the workforce by 2022.
  • Labour negotiations were successfully concluded at Los Pelambres.

Social Development

  • We joined the Mining Cluster in the city of Antofagasta, an alliance that seeks to strengthen employability and innovation in northern Chile.
  • We have reinforced the Somos Choapa (We are Choapa) engagement model at Los Pelambres and the Dialogues for Development programme in our operations in northern Chile.
  • We developed a new Social Management Model that will be gradually implemented as from 2019.
  • We began a process to evaluate and quantify the impacts and contribution of Los Pelambres based on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
  • We completed construction and opened the Technical Training Centre in Los Vilos for 304 students.

Transparency and Corporate Governance

  • We updated our Risk Management and Compliance Models.
  • We recertified our Crime Prevention Model.
  • We began a human rights due diligence process.
Reporting

Annual Report 2018

Strategy

Our growth strategy is based around three pillars