At Antofagasta, we are committed to making a long-term positive impact on society, and sustainability considerations are central to how we make decisions and perform our work.
We believe in developing mining for a better future. As custodians of natural resources, we have a responsibility not only to manage these resources efficiently and responsibly, but also to harness copper’s potential to contribute to the development of a greener and more sustainable world.
“We have adapted our social management strategy to address emerging and growing societal concerns. These include, for example, climate change, human rights and indigenous peoples.”
VICE PRESIDENT OF CORPORATE AFFAIRS AND SUSTAINABILITY
- Respect for others:
We respect people and care about their opinions, which is why we engage in an open, transparent and collaborative way. We trust them and have a genuine interest in their wellbeing. We promote a work environment that fosters diversity and inclusion.
- Responsibility for safety and health:
We are responsible for our own safety and health, as well as for that of others. We identify and control our risks, and we are aware of the impacts of our actions.
- Committed to sustainability:
We operate responsibly and efficiently, with long-term vision. We maximise the economic value of our assets, contribute to social development and minimise our environmental impacts.
- Excellence in our performance:
We continually seek to achieve the best possible results through operational discipline. We look after our resources and we are efficient, austere and honest. We build trust by fulfilling our commitments.
- Innovation as a permanent practice:
We recognise and promote new ideas that improve our work practices and the way we relate to others. We aim to create value for the organisation, people and the environment.
- Forward thinking:
Our business strategy aims to generate value with a long-term vision for shareholders and other stakeholders. We learn from our mistakes and have the flexibility and courage to face new challenges.
- We respect the environment and its diverse natural components, including those relating to natural and social heritage, assessing opportunities for improvement within such settings and to ensure biodiversity conservation.
- We manage natural resources efficiently and responsibly, especially with regard to water, energy and land usage and by employing innovative technology in our processes.
- We identify the potential environmental risks and impacts of our activities at an early stage, from project design through to aspects relating to rehabilitation and mine closure.
- We prevent pollution by controlling and monitoring our processes, adequately managing waste and implementing effective systems to prepare for emergencies and environmental incidents.
- We implement environmental management systems which are integrated in our business, establish objectives, goals and indicators that seek continuous improvement and periodically assess our environmental performance.
- We promote a culture of respect towards the environment among our employees and stakeholders, which distinguishes our Group’s approach towards environmental responsibility.
- We incorporate into dialogue with our stakeholders issues concerning the environmental impacts which affect them, and communicate our environmental performance in a timely and transparent manner.
- We comply with applicable environmental legislation, as well as with commitments we have voluntarily signed up to, and, when legislation proves insufficient, we apply standards based on international best practice.
- We learn and study in advance about the social, cultural, economic, legal and political contexts in the areas where we work, and we assess the potential impacts, risks and opportunities associated with our activities on communities.
- We promote respect among our employees and contractors towards the culture, customs and values of local communities and indigenous groups.
- We support local capacity building by encouraging sustainable development, avoiding the creation of dependencies and facilitating alliances that generate local employment and economic activity.
- We focus our support on education and training, by offering opportunities for integration into the mining industry and strengthening other economic sectors that sustain local development upon closure of our activities.
- We implement public affairs management processes based on analysis of global, national, regional and local settings, that includes regular dialogue with key stakeholders.
- We develop dialogue channels with the community and other stakeholders to communicate our initiatives and performance, while listening to them, integrating them and providing precise and timely responses which generate relationships based on trust and collaboration.
- We develop and maintain a crisis management system to address crisis situations in an appropriate and timely manner and in response to the concerns of our stakeholders.
- We promote an understanding of the role of mining in society, by providing relevant information on metals and their uses, as well as on related businesses developed by Antofagasta.
The Group has established a code to govern the conduct of the relationships with shareholders, workers, authorities, communities, customers, suppliers and business partners.
For more information, please read the Code of Ethics.
At Antofagasta PLC, the focus of our concern is on operating responsibly, transparently and efficiently, with a long-term vision and respect for the human rights of all our stakeholders.
Our undertaking is to respect and fulfil all internationally recognised human rights. These rights include those indicated in the International Bill of Human Rights, which includes the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
This Policy applies to all Group companies, which will seek to ensure that it also applies to contractors and companies in the supply chain, as well as to all persons and entities with which we have business relationships.
For more information, please read the Human Rights Policy.