Appointed to the Board 1990
Appointed Chairman 2004 (Non-Executive since September 2014)
Over 25 years’ experience with Antofagasta, including responsibility for overseeing development of the Los Pelambres and El Tesoro (Centinela Cathodes) mines.
- Chairman of Consejo Minero, the industry body representing the largest mining companies operating in Chile
- CEO of the Group’s mining division
- Member of the board of Consejo Minero
- Non-Executive Director of Quiñenco SA, and Banco de Chile and Sociedad Matriz SAAM SA, both of which are listed companies in the Quiñenco group
- Member of the governing board of Centro de Estudios Públicos, a Chilean not-forprofit academic foundation
Senior Independent Director
Appointed to the Board 2011
Appointed Senior Independent Director 2016
Chartered accountant, management accountant and economist with over 35 years of strategic and operating experience in the mining industry and corporate finance.
- Senior executive positions within the Anglo American group, including Executive Director Corporate Finance and Head of Strategy and Business Development of De Beers SA
- Director and audit committee chairman of Dominion Diamond Corporation
- Director, senior independent director and audit and risk committee and remuneration committee member of Polymetal International plc (effective 25 April 2018)
Appointed to the Board 1985
Commercial engineer and economist with extensive experience in commercial and financial businesses across South America
- CEO of Antofagasta Holdings plc (now Antofagasta plc)
- Member of the governing board of Centro de Estudios Públicos, a Chilean not-for-profit academic foundation
- Member of the High Council of Universidad de Antofagasta
- Member of the Council of COANIL, a charitable foundation for intellectually disabled children
- Member of the Corporate Governance Committee, SOFOFA/KPMG
- Member of the Council of the School of Business and Economics, Diego Portales University
- Professor, Graduate School of Business and Economics, University of Chile
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Banco Latinoamericano de Comercio Exterior SA “Bladex”, listed on the NYSE
- Director of Quiñenco SA and other companies in the Quiñenco group, including Banco de Chile and Compañía Sudamericana de Vapores SA
- Vice-Chairman of Fundación Andrónico Luksic A (charitable foundation)
- Vice-Chairman of Fundación Educacional Luksic (charitable foundation)
Appointed to the Board 2003
Lawyer with considerable legal and commercial experience in Chile.
- Chairman of the Fundación Minera Los Pelambres (charitable foundation)
- Director of the Fundación Andrónico Luksic A. (charitable foundation)
Appointed to the Board 2005
Extensive industrial experience in Chile, including an active role representing Chilean industrial interests nationally and internationally.
- Chairman of the Sociedad de Fomento Fabril (Chilean Society of Industrialists)
- Chairman of the Confederación de la Producción y del Comercio (Confederation of Chilean Business)
- Chairman of the Consejo Binacional de Negocios Chile-China (Council for Bilateral Business Chile-China)
- Chairman of Coca-Cola Andina S.A. and Energía Coyanco S.A.
- Director of several other companies in Chile, including Empresas Cementos Melon and Agrosuper
- Member of the governing board of Centro de Estudios Públicos, a Chilean not-for-profit foundation
Juan sits on the following committee: ST Sustainability and Stakeholder Management Committee
Appointed to the Board 2006
Extensive financial and operational experience in the copper and gold mining industries in Chile, Latin America, North America and South Africa.
- Senior executive with Placer Dome Inc.
- Chairman of the Consejo Minero, the industry body representing the largest mining companies operating in Chile
- Chairman of the Gold Institute in Washington DC
- Chairman of Royal Gold Inc
William sits on the following committees: ST Sustainability and Stakeholder Management Committee
Appointed to the Board 2011
Geologist with significant mining operational experience across North and South America and Africa which has included managing mining operations in Chile, the United States, Tanzania and Venezuela and geological and operating roles in Kenya and Liberia.
- Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at Kinross Gold Corporation
- General Manager of Placer Dome Chile
- Chairman of Golden Star Resources
- Director of Sherritt International Corporation
- Director of Alio Gold Inc.
Appointed to the Board 2013
Extensive experience across a range of business sectors throughout Chile, Latin America and Europe.
- Chairman of Quiñenco SA, and of Compañía Cervecerías Unidas SA and Vice Chairman of Banco de Chile and Compañía Sudamericana de Vapores SA, all of which are listed companies in the Quiñenco group
- Director of Nexans SA, a company listed on NYSE Euronext Paris
Appointed to the Board 2014
Economist with extensive experience across the energy, mining, water and environmental sectors in the public and private sectors in Chile.
- Executive Director of the Comisión Nacional de Medio Ambiente (Environmental Agency in Chile)
- Undersecretary of Comisión Nacional del Energía (National Energy Commission in Chile)
- Minister of Defence for Chile
- Director of Scotiabank Chile
- Member of the Consejo para la Transparencia (Transparency Council), the Chilean body responsible for enforcing transparency in the public sector
- Director of Empresas CMPC SA, a pulp and packaging company listed in Chile
- Director of Colbún SA, an energy company listed in Chile
Appointed to the Board 2014
Economist with over 30 years’ experience in the mining industry.
- Co-founder and Executive Director of Copper and Mining Studies (“CESCO”), an independent not-for-profit think tank focused on mining policy issues
- Vice President of Development and later Director of Codelco
- CEO of AMP Chile
- Advisor to the World Bank
- Member of the Global Agenda Council for Responsible Minerals Resource Management at the World Economic Forum
- Director of Edelnor SA, Electroandina SA (now E-CL SA) and Bupa Chile SA
- Member of the Experts Committee for Copper Prices for the Chilean Ministry of Finance
- Director of CESCO
- Professor of the International Post-Graduate Programme in Mineral Economics at the University of Chile
- Director of NEXTMinerals SA
- Member of the Advisory Council of Sacyr‑Chile
- Member of the Comité de Vigilancia of CleanTech Fund
Appointed to the Board 2016
Commercial engineer with over 25 years’ experience in industry including mining, energy, finance and public/private infrastructure projects in the United States and Chile.
- Executive Vice-President of Strategic Business and Subsidiaries at Codelco
- General Co-ordinator of Concessions at the Chilean Ministry of Public Works
- Various roles within the Chilean Finance Ministry
- World Bank, Washington
- Member of the Chilean Pension Funds Risk Classification Committee
- Member of the independent Technical Panel of Chilean Public Works Concessions
- A director of SalfaCorp S.A.